The areas of Milltown and Clonskeagh were considered the ‘Liberties of Dublin’ after an English invasion of Dublin around 1290, it is considered the name Milltown was derived soon after when a number of Mills were established along the River Dodder.

 

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

A post shared by Gareth Murran (@gmurran) on

Milltown is dominated by the beautiful Roman style viaduct railway bridge that spans across the Dodder. The bridge would be a focal point on any train journey from Dublin city centre to Bray in the 19th century, offering passengers a glorious view when crossing the bridge at Milltown. The rail service ceased operations in 1958. The LUAS lightrail service now operates the bridge to Brides Glen from City Centre as far as Bloomfield using the bridge known locally as the ‘Nine Arches’



 

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Before Instagram, before Tallaght was Glenmalure Park, Milltown….. #Milltown30

A post shared by Shamrock Rovers Football Club (@shamrockroversofficial) on


Milltown was also very famous for Shamrock Rovers, a league of Ireland Professional soccer team. Shamrock Rovers played at Glenmalure Park for over 60 years until 1987. During these days, the park would have hosted over 5000 fans and seen the likes of Johnny Giles and Eamonn Dunphy playing during their heyday. The park was sold acrimoniously to a property developer with a soccer ball statue dedictaed to Shamrock Rovers at the entrance of Glenmalure Park.

Milltown Golf Club is a very popular and prestigious golf club, formed over 100 years ago.